Sunday, September 29, 2013

Blogs, wikis, etc.

I really had no idea how valuable blogging could be for the classroom until I read Richardson's book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Web Tools for Classrooms. Having not grown up with computer technology, it is a struggle on my part to learn the latest advancements that occur so rapidly. Yet my students have no problem figuring how to create a movie or design a cartoon, etc., with little or no instruction. The iPad has made it even easier for the youngest of children. My 2 year old nephew started to play with my iPad and was able to find and open an app and start to play. It was amazing. Having no trepidation to using these devices is so foreign to me. I am always unsure of what I'm doing or how to use a devise. My son has little patience with me when I enlist his help. He always says, "Mom, you need to figure this out for yourself." I suppose he is right but it seems his mind is already 'prewired', mine is not. I also realize that to figure it out for myself, which I am willing to do, takes time. And a lot of it. It is a constant struggle to try and keep up with my students. It is frustrating for them when I can't even help them with a computer issue. But I am learning and am thankful for the opportunity to do so. 

Back to blogging - what is mind-blowing to me is the potential for global connections that blogging can create. I never really thought about how far one's thoughts could go to reach someone on the other side of the globe. That connection is mighty powerful. I can see the advantages for a student in terms of writing, responding, and receiving responses. How incredible is that to get to read what a student in Ghana has posted to something you said. As a learning tool I think it is incredible and should be used as often as possible.

                                                                         
                                                                            



1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough, your post made me think of science and how it is taught through inquiry. As I develop and teach science units to my students, I encourage them to explore and "dig in" to the questions that they have generated. I thought of this because, as I stand in my classroom and promoted inquiry, when it comes to technology I am much like you. I am hesitant to begin playing around on the computer and discover answers to my own questions. I am much more comfortable when I have the assistance of an instructor as I navigate through the technological world. I guess your post has just reminded me to practice what I preach and be unafraid when it comes to trying new things! Thanks for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete